The training course on “Animal welfare at slaughter – Advanced level” is aimed at allowing participants to acquire advanced level knowledge and practical skills on:
- the impact of farming and transport on the welfare conditions of the animals on arrival at the slaughter plant;
- proper pre-slaughter handling, stunning, slaughter and killing of animals;
- animal lairage, housing, handling and assessment of keeping facilities;
- main stunning and killing techniques at slaughter in Europe;
- resource and management – based measures;
- welfare indicators for developing monitoring procedures at slaughterhouses for bovines stunned with penetrative captive bolt or slaughtered without stunning;
- welfare indicators for developing monitoring procedures at slaughterhouses for pigs stunned with electrical method or carbon dioxide at high concentration;
- welfare indicators for developing monitoring procedures at slaughterhouses for sheep and goats stunned with electrical method or slaughtered without stunning;
- how to perform inspections and audits on animal welfare at slaughter.
The scientific contents will be mainly focused on the following animal species: cattle, pigs and small ruminants.
Official veterinarians belonging to the NCAs of EU MSs, EFTA, Candidate and Third Countries, involved in official controls on Animal Welfare aspects during the stunning and killing operations at slaughterhouses; development of good practices to improve the implementation of the EU legislation and/or international standards.
Candidate participants have to demonstrate their participation in previous BTSF training course/s on the subject of the course they apply for.
Please find at this link the 2015-2016 training calendar.