"Better Training for Safer Food" (BTSF) is a Commission initiative aimed at organising a Community (EU) training strategy in the areas of Food Law, Feed Law, Animal Health, Animal Welfare and Plant Health.
The main objectives of the initiative are to:
- Ensure and maintain a high level of consumer protection and of Animal Health, Animal Welfare and Plant Health;
- Promote a harmonised approach to the operation of Community and national control systems;
- Create an equal level playing field for all food businesses;
- Enhance trade of safe food;
- Ensure fair trade with third countries and in particular developing countries.
- Animal Welfare during transport and related operations (one training session),
- Animal Welfare concerning the farming of pigs (two training sessions),
- Animal Welfare at the time of killing of animals in slaughterhouses (one training session),
- Animal Welfare concerning the farming of laying hens and broiler chickens kept for meat production(two training sessions),
- Animal Welfare at the time of killing in disease control situation (one training session).
Eligible participants were Public Veterinary Officers belonging to the National Competent Authorities of EU Countries, Candidate, EFTA and some selected Third Countries, involved in official controls on Animal Welfare aspects and concerned with the development of best practices to improve the application of European norms and/or international standards.
The courses allowed participants to improve their knowledge and/or practical skills on relevant EU legislation and international framework (as the OIE Guidelines), on the scientific basis for proper transport, housing, management and handling of the animals and on main stunning and killing techniques.