The training course on “Animal Welfare during transport” will allow participants to achieve the necessary skills to:
- interpret relevant EU legislation and international framework (as the OIE guidelines);
- apply scientific basis for proper transport of the animals (animal behaviour, concept of stress and its implication in the quality of the -meat, animal physiology in particular drinking and feeding needs);
- check transport conditions and records (fitness for transport, vehicle standards, space allowances, temperatures, travelling time limits, tachographs and navigation systems etc.);
- manage practical aspects of handling of animals (loading and unloading activities) and emergency care for animals during transport;
- assess the design of vehicles facilities (density, drinking devices, headroom, ramps of access, stalls when required, etc…);
- identify best solutions to achieve the requirements on Control Posts;
- facilitate the monitoring and proper enforcement of relevant animal welfare requirements during transport.
Official veterinarians belonging to NCAs of EU MSs, EFTA, Candidate and Third Countries, involved in enforcement of legislation on animal transport; official controls on document, structural and physical aspects of animal transport; development of good practices to improve the application of European norms and/or international standards.
Please find at this link the 2015-2016 training calendar.