The course allowed participants to achieve the necessary skills to:
- interpret relevant EU legislation;
- apply scientific basis for proper housing, management (including mutilation procedures), handling of poultry (animal behaviour and anatomy);
- assess the existing farming systems in relation to compliance with the current EU legislation;
- monitor animal welfare outcomes throughout practical experience on the farm;
- carry out efficient inspections at farm level, including practical guidance on how to verify compliance of the farming systems with the EU legislation (for example, how to measure the useable area in enriched cages as provided in Council Directive 1999/74);
- set up and monitor a data collection system for broiler at slaughterhouses;
- inspect welfare of poultry in farms, according to bio-security rules.